So, you’re in the midst of a riveting text convo with a special someone… someone you might even, teehee!, ‘like’. It’s an exciting ping pong match of wit and racy innuendos when suddenly, they stop replying to you. You try to play it off cool, but eventually you’re all, well… wtf? And then when they FINALLY respond, they’re all, ‘oh sorry! While you were staring at your phone wondering why I didn’t el oh el at your sexy little joke, I was out doing this awesomely fun thing with (insert random friend(s) here).’ I mean, really dude/dudette? You can’t say, oh hey, I gotta go do this thing, we’ll talk later! up front? That’s like the text equivalent of putting me on hold during phone sex and just leaving for a few hours. (Yeah, remember how us ’80’s babies still use our phones as actual phones sometimes?!)
(PS. I know I’ve TOTALLY done this before too. I’m just sayin’, I’m working on it myself).
A fabulous poem followed by a fabulous Ted Talk. I love Ted Talks like this; they make you really sit back and contemplate your life, your place within this life, but in a profoundly positive way.
Plus, if I ever have a daughter, I will (make) her watch this, at least once, every 5 years. Because I look forward to witnessing how its meaning will change with her as she grows up. And in my dream, one day she will write about how it changed for her… because I think it’d be a pretty good story.
So I’m from Gainesville, right? For the past 12 years, Gainesvegas has put on a multi-day punk rock (with some pop punk, bluegrass and acousticness thrown in there for funsies) festival called, appropriately, the FEST. I’ve gone many a time, and in a word, IT’S FAN-FUCKING-TASTIC. This year (yay!), several of my lovely lady friends are accompanying me for the first time, to pop their punk rock cherries. They asked me for a blog post to break down the do’s and dont’s, the need to haves and have nots, etc. I apologize if any of this seems unbelievably obvi, but hey, you asked for it!
First off: The Schedge.
I’ve posted my tentative schedule for you, dahlings. Granted, drunken shenans always ensure some kind of last minute change, but these are the bands I would like to see, and I think you might too:
Buuuuut that being said I’m always up for suggestions!
Second, PRE FEST:
1) You’re going to send your immune system for a ride this weekend. Don’t start off drained, ok? Buy a box of Emergen-C’s, 1-2 a day until FEST comes. Include airbornes or vitamins, and eat healthy. DON’T GET SICK OR I WILL BE ANNOYED.
2) SUSTENANCE: Stock up on what you know you’re gonna want/need (because seriously you will NOT want to drive anywhere unnecessary). My list usually includes:
booze of choice and mixers
breakfast food (eggs, bacon, carbs. Fruit?…. eh, I guess)
Energy drinks of choice. (red bull, monster, rockstarr, TEVS)
Hangover meals of choice: mine? banana and a ramen packet. Gross, but effective.
More multivitamins and emergen-c.
Whatever late-night munchies you crave… or put 5 star on your speed dial.
Third, Attire: I always opt for maximum comfort and minimum attention… that’s just how I like to roll in a crowd, in general… anyways:
1) Wear close-toed shoes!! Boots if you’ve got ’em because they’ll protect your feet from the drunk idiots stage diving (see above…)
2) That being said, wear comfy shoes. We venue-hop all night.
3) If you wear glasses, GET CONTACTS. Nothing worse than a fist to the face…. and then glass in your eyes.
4) Don’t wear the band’s t-shirt to the show… god I just hate that.
5) If it’s ‘cold’ this weekend: a scarf or a hat. Don’t bog yourself down with the big coat, you’re just gonna be hot and annoyed. And once you’re drunk you won’t feel the chill anyway.
1) EAR PLUGS.
2) Plastic flask: at least one venue has had metal detectors in the past, and if you’re on a budget… yeah, you knowwaddamean.
3) Your favorite koozie if you’re a beer drinker.
4) Purse: no ‘handbags’, they’re just cumbersome. Something that goes over your shoulder or on your back.
1) Write your drink order and your last name (if you start tabs) in sharpie on your hand. Makes it a looooot easier to order a drink while a bands playing
2) GET CASH: There’s a flea market, endless merch booths. You’re gonna wanna buy stuff, and not have to go to an ATM every time. Just pull out a decent amount ($50-100), cause if you try to pull out $20… GIRL, you and I BOTH know that’s not gonna be enough.
3) …This goes without saying but I feel I must iterate: DON’T PICK A FIGHT WITH A GUTTER PUNK. Even if they deserve it. Ain’t nobody got time for that, ya feel me? (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE… lerrrrvvv yoooouuuu)
For my out-of-town newbs:
Places to avoid (driving, being excessively drunk in publics), ’cause of COPS:
1) Major intersections: i.e, university ave and main street, university ave and 13th street (google backroads or have your native friend drive you).
2) 1st avenue at Loosey’s, also near 8 seconds: right by a cop station. Just don’t start anything there, k?
Places to mow:
1) Loosey’s burg: fuckin’ awesome… and they usually have the burg on a $5 special on Sundays too….. also they have my favorite beer on tap at the mo’: Breckenridge Autumn Ale.
2) Bistro 1245: Closer to campus, right across from the Holiday Inn where you register. Pretty cheap, good French Bistro food…. GET THE BUTTERNUT SQUASH BISQUE.
3) Flaco’s: Right next to Durty Nellys. Ropa Vieja with chi. and slather that bitch in sriracha or I lose respect for you. Also can’t go wrong with the guava pastry. Decent Cuban coff here too.
4) Lunchbox: venue and food in one, yay! and yum! Veggie and vegan options too. Just watch out for the bums!
5) Vello’s: Right down the road from the Lunchbox. Not a venue, food is merely ok, but they have the best happy hour in town, in my humble opinion. Aside from bottles of wine and bottles of beer, everything is half off. Shit, top shelf, everything. Ever’day. 3-7 pm.
Ummm….. That’s all I can think of right meow…. here’s the web site if you need actually helpful info 😛 (oh yeah, they totes have an app you can download, super helpful in organizing your schedule).
Holy Snap. Watch the video posted below. I’m not normally super moved by poetry, but this was so powerful for me. Her repetition, cadence and metaphor are FANTASTIC. While I can’t say I come from the exact place she does (my family is a bunch o’ foodies), I could so relate to that nagging sense of dietary concerns that plague my every waking thought, and several of my sleeping ones.
Sometimes I use my blog as a way to sort through and process difficult emotions… can you tell??
I’m trying really hard not to hate you as much as you apparently hate me. Because I didn’t do anything wrong. All I did was be myself, and if being myself caused someone to pick me over you, not my problem. I didn’t sabotage you. I think if you should be mad at anyone, you should be mad at yourself. And although I am dealing with a lot of anger towards you, mostly… I think I feel sorry for you. You’re kind of pathetic, you know that? Maybe you do, and you just don’t know how to handle it.
The fact that this is even about ‘losing’ for you is sad. I can’t believe you have so little self-respect that you lose your shit over something so (eventually) unimportant as someone’s affection… Now, I admit I am a sensitive person. I take things personally; I hurt when I’m rejected too. But the fact that you’ve held this candle, or grudge, or whatever it is latched to your heart for this long… Don’t you think it’s time to move on?
I only know one side of the story, because you refuse to speak to me (again… I don’t really get why, since all I’ve ever been is nice to you, despite how rude you’ve been to me). Maybe there’s something I’m missing. That’s very possible. However, based on what I know at this moment, it breaks down to this: it’s about a boy. When you boil it down to the bare bones, don’t you see how ridiculous that is? It’s ridiculous. And I hope you eventually learn that you’re better than that… or at least that you can be.
I try really hard to be a good person (honestly, I thought most people did), but I’m not perfect. So right now, I feel more hate than pity for you. You acted selfishly. You acted like an immature, little girl. So grow up. Because in the end, all you’ve accomplished is this: the realization that while you may be “prettier than me”… looks only fade. Underneath it all, I’m beautiful. With a boy, without a boy, I’m still beautiful. That’s more than I can say for you.
I have so much anger in my heart right now. And its suffocating me. I’m angry at people who meddle. I’m angry at people who are egocentric, always putting themselves and/or their wellbeing first. I’m angry at my own naivete for trying to believe the best in people. I’m angry that that ideology has been tainted. I’m angry that I’m constantly being asked what someone can do to make me feel better. I’m angry because I don’t know the answer, and I’m angry because at this point, I shouldn’t be the one coming up with the solution.
I’m angry with myself.
I’m disappointed in myself.
Current Jam: Off with their heads, “I may be a lot of shitty things but at least I’m not a rapist like you”